Health Tip – Sept. 18 – Five Reasons Supplements Are Useful
The daunting variety of vitamins and other supplements on the market today can make choices difficult. Alongside traditional multivitamins and single-nutrient pills (such as vitamins C or E, or individual minerals such as zinc) there are also condition-specific supplement formula combinations, high-potency versions of the classics, and vitamin-infused waters.
Which of these do you need – if any? If your diet is consistently “ideal” or “optimal” you may not think you receive much benefit from supplements, but recent research shows that optimal amounts of certain key nutrients are hard to obtain from diet alone. Even if you are conscientious in your food choices, supplementing with certain micronutrients may provide long-term benefits. Nutritional supplements may especially useful for those who:
1. Are over 55 years of age.
2. Are following weight-loss diets.
3. Have “hit or miss” diets, lacking generous amounts of vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
4. Have specific health problems, such as heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, arthritis or high blood pressure.
5. Are taking medications that may deplete or inhibit the absorption of certain nutrients.
Like and Share with your friends