Health Tip – Sept. 25 – Six Reasons to Drink Water
Want to promote healthy skin and proper digestion? Interested in a natural detoxifier? Water is a basic necessity. The body is more than two-thirds water, and keeping it hydrated is vital. Some reasons to sip H2O include:
1. Healthy blood and bones. Your blood is over 80 percent water and your bones over 50 percent water. Proper hydration is required to optimize creation of new blood and bone cells.
2. Toxin elimination. Skip the fancy (and costly) detox plans: Plain water naturally helps remove toxins through the lymphatic system, intestines and kidneys.
3. Lubricated joints. Water helps protect against wear and tear and can even help reduce joint pain.
4. Proper digestion. Water helps prevent constipation by adding bulk to stools and fluid to the colon.
5. Alertness. Even minor dehydration can lead to headaches, irritability, impaired concentration and fatigue. The human brain is 85 percent water; keeping it hydrated is essential for proper functioning.
6. Healthy skin. Water hydrates from the inside out, helping to maintain elasticity of the skin.
The standard recommendation is to drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day. While there is no solid evidence that such a high volume is essential for everyone, do drink throughout the day – this is easier if you keep a large glass or water bottle handy at all times.