Word of the Day – Jan. 9 – Plastron
Dee Dee – Word of the Day
Noun: Plastron (PLASS-trun)
1. A metal breast plate formerly worn under the hauberk.
2. A quilted pad worn in fencing practice to protect the chest, waist and side on which the weapon is held.
3. The ventral part of the shell of a tortoise or turtle.
4. A trimming like a bib for a woman’s dress.
5. A man’s separate or detachable shirtfront.
Sample sentence: A hinged plastron allows an animal to pull its head, legs and tail completely inside, away from hungry raccoons, skunks and minks, and, in urban environments, cats and dogs.