Word of the Day – Jan. 9 – Plastron
Dee Dee – Word of the Day
Noun: Plastron (PLASS-trun)
1. A metal breast plate formerly worn under the hauberk.
2. A quilted pad worn in fencing practice to protect the chest, waist and side on which the weapon is held.
3. The ventral part of the shell of a tortoise or turtle.
4. A trimming like a bib for a woman’s dress.
5. A man’s separate or detachable shirtfront.
Sample sentence: A hinged plastron allows an animal to pull its head, legs and tail completely inside, away from hungry raccoons, skunks and minks, and, in urban environments, cats and dogs.
Like and Share with your friends