Health Tip – Dec. 5 – Holiday Plant Safety

Filed under: Dee Dee |

Some of the common holiday plants, such as the poinsettia and mistletoe have often been considered very poisonous, even life-threatening. Although caution should be exercised, ingestion of these plants is not fatal.

The Amaryllis, an exotic plant from tropical America and Africa has brilliant-colored flowers and green strap-shaped leaves. A stomach-ache can occur if the bulb is eaten.

Eating the bark from cedar Christmas trees can cause a stomach-ache. The sap may cause an itchy skin rash.

The bright red berries of the Holly plant are especially attractive to small children. Nibbling on 1 or 2 berries will not cause any symptoms. Swallowing more, however, can result in nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea.

If you suspect a plant ingestion, call your local Poison Control Center immediately. Do not make someone vomit unless instructed by Poison Control.

Share Sunny 101.9 WKQS Content with World!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Tumblr
  • Reddit
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • Print
  • PDF
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • BarraPunto
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • RSS
  • Slashdot
  • Mixx
  • Fark
  • MySpace