Congratulations to Miners Spring Sports!
NEGAUNEE, MI – June 24, 2014 - Here at SunnyFM, we are honored to broadcast the Miners Football & Basketball teams. With the school year ended, it’s time that we give recognition to the players and teams who had successful springs in their respective sports!
For the fourth time in five years (’10, ’11, ’12, ’14) the Negaunee Miners are the U.P. Tennis Champs! (Photo credit: Negaunee Tennis)
Two members of the Singles division and two Doubles partners were selected to the All-U.P. Division I team! Congratulations guys on a great season!
- Ryan Syrjala (Jr.)
- Parker Bowman (So.)
- Stephen Trawick (Sr.) & Alex Roth (So.)
- Doug Lindblom (Sr.) & Michael Anderson (Sr.)
Two Negaunee Miners were selected to the recent Upper Peninsula High School All-Star Softball game roster for the North team. While the South won the series, both players contributed in a big way.
- Rosalie Anderson – In a 2-1 loss for the North in the first game, Rosalie was named the North’s MVP for the day. She allowed only 6 hits, threw 4 strikeouts, and allowed 0 walks.
- Taylor Ring – Taylor had an RBI in both games for the North. One on a double to right center and one on a fielder’s choice.
The Miners Baseball team almost managed to make it downstate for the second consecutive year, but just missed with a 4-2 loss to Gladstone. However, they were led by the pitching of Tyler Jandron all season long. It’s not wonder that he’s committed to the University of Wisconsin-Parkside to play both basketball & baseball next year.
Negaunee took third in the Division-I U.P. Finals this year, missing out on second place (Marquette) by just one point. Leading the way for the Miners were some big wins by three guys:
- Jason Bell – Bell was able to take the 110m & 300m at the meet with some impressive times of 15.95 & 41.72 respectively.
- Kevin O’Keefe – O’Keefe took care of the “dash” portions for the Miners boys, winning the 100m (11.38 sec) & 200m (22.2 sec)
- Zane Radloff – Anybody who watched Negaunee football or basketball this year knew that Zane could jump. He showed it off again with a winning 6′ jump.
- Hailee Richards – With a distance of 111-feet and 1-inch, Richards took home the discus title for Negaunee. The school record, according to Coach Vicki Paupore, is 120-feet, giving Richards a good chance to reach that in her senior year.
- Wyleen Kniola, Clara Churchill, Alyssa Blake and Aleda Johnson – This team took home the 3,200m relay for the Maize & Blue, beating their former best by over 30 seconds! They were able to with a time of 10:08.12
The Miners Boys Golf team were led by a group of four who brought Negaunee to a second place finish in the MPC Meet and a sixth place finish in the Division-I Championship Meet. The four guys leading the Miners were:
- Dave Renaldi
- Mike Wilbur
- Carter Mason
- Erik Voskul
Congratulations to all who participated in Miner sports this spring, and good luck to all seniors who’ve donned the Maize & Blue for the final time. You’re forever part of the great legacy that is Negaunee sports!
Jesse & I are looking forward to our second year as the voices of the Miners!
It was another great year in 2013-2014! With July quickly approaching, we’re nearing the start of Football season and another school year. It sure is making up to be a good one.
-Carl Leander Johnson