Negaunee Girls Tennis Season Underway!
The new courts can be seen up by the high school, and they are beautiful!
NEGAUNEE, MI – 8/26/2014 –The Negaunee girls tennis team started off their season on the road last week against Westwood. The girls were able to split the meet 4-4 and looked good as they shook off their competitive rust in the season opener. Negaunee was able to pull off the sweep in the singles matches, but were swept in turn during the doubles. Junior Angie Ring looked impressive in her singles match-up and was able to sweep both sets 6-0. Allison Carlson also paved the way for a good day in the singles column as she won both sets 6-1, 6-0 respectively.
Negaunee was back in action yesterday, playing their first meet on the new courts that were just built this past summer. There must have been something about it being the first time, because the girls didn’t seem to want to lose at all. They were able to sweep their MPC rival Ishpeming Hematites in all matches!
Negaunee was able to win all eight of their match-ups, although only six were played (2 were wins by default). In those six matches, Negaunee only lost a combined 13 games! The results are as follows:
- #1 Allison Carlson (Neg) def. Jessica Penhale (Ish) 6-0, 6-0
- #2 Angie Ring (Neg) def. Lindsey Thompson (Ish) 6-2, 6-0
- #3 Allison Ring (Neg) def. Kassey Kytala (Ish) 6-0, 6-0
- #1 Hanna & Elly Kantola (Neg) def. Libbie Doney & Hailly Thompson (Ish) 6-3, 6-2
- #2 Kassy Harsila & Lauren Anderson (Neg) def. Marissa Maino & Kaylee Ronn (Ish) 6-3, 6-3
- #3 Megan Syrjala & Nicole Violetta (Neg) def. Ashley Bertucci & Alexis Lyke (Ish) 6-0, 6-0
The Negaunee girls, led by coach Kyle Saari, are off to a great start this season! The girls in singles have yet to lose a match, and the team has yet to lose a meet. Be sure to keep tabs on all of your Negaunee Miners right here on Sunny.FM!
-Carl Leander Johnson
Latest posts by Carl Johnson (see all)