Attempt To Thaw Pipes Starts House Fire

Filed under: U.P. News Updates |
News Update

News Update

Marquette, MI – (Great Lakes Radio News) – Ishpeming Firefighters were called out Saturday afternoon to a structure fire that started while city crews were attempting to thaw frozen pipes.

The fire at 626 W. Division Street was reported around 12:30pm. Upon arrival firefighters found most of the fire had already been extinguished to the single story home.

Ishpeming DPW had been attempting to thaw the water line running to the home, electrical wiring in the attic over-heated causing a small fire to start in a near by roof support and insulation.

There was only minor damage to the homes exterior wall and near by electrical wiring.

Officials say this is the second time this winter Ishpeming DPW crews thawing water pipes have caused a minor structure fire.

The procedure to thaw water pipes is very dangerous, even when things are done correctly, things like this can and do happen.

Firefighters were on the scene for about 30 minutes no injuries were reported.

Share Sunny 101.9 WKQS Content with World!
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • BarraPunto
  • Bitacoras.com
  • Fark
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Mixx
  • MySpace
  • PDF
  • Reddit
  • RSS
  • Slashdot
  • Tumblr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>