News Update For Monday, April 2, 2012

Filed under: U.P. News Updates |

Great Lakes Radio Marquette - Upper Peninsula NewsNews Update For Monday, 4/2/12

The Michigan Department of Transportation has closed M-64 this afternoon between Bergland and Silver City in Ontonagon County as the roadway was compromised by rising water. A beaver dam blocked a culvert beneath the highway about five miles north of Bergland, and attempts to remove the blockage have been unsuccessful to this point. The Ontonagon County Road Commission and MDOT are on-scene, working on an emergency replacement of the culvert. It is not known how long it will take to reopen the highway at this point. The official detour route for M-64 traffic between Bergland and Silver City is on M-28, US-45, and M-64 west of Ontonagon.
——-
State Police from the Negaunee Post have released an update concerning the weekend shooting in Marquette County.  Troopers were dispatched to Marquette General Hospital Saturday morning on the report of a person being admitted to the E-R with a bullet wound. 37-year-old Eric Thomas of Marquette was admitted to the hospital around 1:20am with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. He was last listed in stable condition.  The shooting happened at a camp on Brown Deer Road in Powell Township. Police say they believe the shooting was accidental, but they are continuing to review the case.

——-

Construction has begun today on the McClellan Avenue Extension project in the City of Marquette.  During this phase, access through this area will be prohibited due to construction. The trail access currently used by pedestrians from Center Street will be unavailable. Residents using the bike path are also being advised to use caution and stay on the pathway.  This project is anticipated to be substantially complete by October 31-st.
——-
The City of Negaunee Public Works Department has begun the replacement of two broken valves in the City’s water system.  According to last report, it is not certain at this time if a water boil order will be needed.  Areas affected by this project are:

Hungerford Ave. – from Birch St to Croix St
Cedar St – from Birch St to Mass St
Birch St- from Baldwin Ave to Hungerford Ave
Mass St – from Baldwin Ave to Croix St
The 300 Block of Croix St

If the valves do not hold there may be additional streets added to the list.  After pressure is restored, City staff will  flush the system and also collect samples for bacteriological analysis.  Until sampling confirms the water is safe,  residents will be advised to boil their drinking water and water used to prepare food for three to five minutes.
——-

The National Park Service is investigating a series of cases of vandalism at the Keweenaw National Historical Park in the Copper Country. Park officials say there have been several instances of damage discovered over the last two weeks at the park’s properties near Hancock. The damages include spray painted graffiti on walls, ore cars building ruins. The Park Service says clean-up of the damage will cost several thousand dollars.
——-
An Upper Peninsula soldier is returning to his hometown nearly 61 years after his death.  18-year old Army Private First Class Arthur Leiviska of Calumet died april 30, 1951 in a North Korean prisoner of war camp.  His remains weren’t identified until August, 2010 and his few remaining family members were finally notified just a few months ago.  Leiviska was a member of L company, 3rd Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division.  He was on patrol when his division was ambushed in the central corridor of the Republic of Korea in January 1951 killing 19 soldiers.  A marker was placed at Calumet’s Lake View cemetery in 1998 to remember Leiviska. He will be laid to rest during a special Memorial Day service.
——–
A sailing ship based in Marquette has been added to the National Register of Historical Places.  The “Coaster II”, modeled after a 19-th century New England coastal schooner has been added to the Michigan list following an administrative change by the National Register in Washington, D.C.  The ship was built in 1933 in Maine and was originally listed in the National Register in 1989 when the vessel was docked in Everett, Washington.  In 2007, the ship had been relocated to Maine and was purchased by carpenter Niko Economides who restored it with his son. They eventually sailed the ship from Maine to Marquette and began offering charters in 2009.

Share Sunny 101.9 WKQS Content with World!
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Add to favorites
  • BarraPunto
  • Bitacoras.com
  • Fark
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Mixx
  • MySpace
  • PDF
  • Reddit
  • RSS
  • Slashdot
  • Tumblr

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>